Facebook Murder Suspect Fatally Shoots Self In Erie County

Stephens allegedly filmed himself committing the murder and published the video on Facebook along with another video in which he claims to have previously murdered an additional 13 people.

According to Lane, her last conversation with Stephens was last Saturday and he told her he had quit his job and was moving out of state.

"I'm not happy he's dead at all, not at all".

"We lost our dad, but this mother lost her son, his children lost their dad", Godwin-Baines said.

The break in the case came when police received a tip that Stephens' vehicle was in a McDonald's parking lot, Willlams said.

The FBI joined state authorities in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, and NY in the search for Stephens, offering a reward of $50,000 for information leading to the suspect's apprehension.

As officers approached his vehicle, Stephens shot himself, Pennsylvania state police said on Tuesday on Twitter and at a news conference. Pennsylvania state troopers received a tip from a McDonald's employee in Erie, in far western Pennsylvania, approximately 100 miles east of Cleveland. Although Stephens is dead, Jones said he has not found peace.

Stephens had been on the run for almost 48 hours after posting grisly video on Facebook of himself shooting and killing 74-year-old Robert Godwin, Sr.at 695 East 93rd Street in Cleveland.

"We disabled the suspect's account within 23 minutes of receiving the first report about the murder video, and two hours after receiving a report of any kind", Osofsky said.

Stephens had Godwin say the name of Stephens' estranged girlfriend before shooting him at point-blank range. Facebook says, "we know we need to do better". "I am sorry that all of this has happened".

Stephens is wanted for the Easter killing of 74-year-old Robert Godwin, Sr.

Citizens and police in Erie had been on high alert after a ping from Stephens' cell phone was detected there Sunday.

Stephens, 37, was named among the FBI's "most wanted" amid a $50,000 reward.

A vigil was reportedly held on Monday night for Godwin, in which dozens of family, friends and community members brought flowers and paid tribute to the great-grandfather.

  • Elsie Buchanan