Mario Gotze's season over, say Borussia Dortmund

The Bundesliga club announced in a statement posted on the club's webste on Wednesday that the 24-year-old national team player would miss the rest of the season as he continues to receive medical treatment for a metabolic disorder that has been causing him muscle problems.

The Dortmund website said: "good news for Mario Goetze: Borussia Dortmund's Germany worldwide speaks positively about the first phase of his treatment", but included no direct quotes.

Dortmund revealed last month that Gotze would be out indefinitely after it was discovered by doctors that the player was suffering from metabolic disturbances. "The midfield player is now undergoing rehab and an individual training program".

"The overall sporting goal for the player is to be fully operational at the beginning of next season".

"BVB wish Mario Gotze a fast recovery, also in the name of their 10 million fans", said Borussia Dortmund's chief executive officer Hans-Joachim Watzke.

The 24-year-old World Cup victor was diagnosed with the disorder last month and withdrawn from training.

Last July, Dortmund paid €22m to buy Gotze back from Bayern Munich, having been forced to sell him in 2013 for €37m after the Bavarians triggered a release clause in his contract.

Gotze has played just 24 minutes of Bundesliga action in 2017 and has made 16 appearances since re-signing from Bayern Munich.

  • Loretta Pittman