Two Dead After T-Mobile 'Ghost Calls' Flood 911 Center in Texas

The city said in a statement that the 911 call center was jammed with calls Saturday evening because of an ongoing issue with T-Mobile.

This time the call was effective and Dallas Fire Rescue arrived on the scene within minutes, "But had they been there at 9:05 rather than 9:25, Brian might have been resuscitated", said Taffet.

The company and officials thought the problem was fixed in January, but the problem surged again in March. But on Saturday night, callers were on hold for an average of 30 to 40 minutes.

The incidents come only days after AT&T customers in Dallas as well as other parts of Texas and in and other states in the Midwest, experienced an outage of 911 service.

'At the end of the day, I'm still going to be here hurt, because he's not going to be here, ' an emotional Alex told the station CBS DFW.

Dallas police investigated but found no evidence connecting Brandon Alex's death to T-Mobile's ghost call glitch.

"I believe that what happened Saturday night was beyond the numbers that we've seen on this issue", Rawlings said.

While awaiting a fix, city officials urged 911 callers to use alternatives to their T-Mobile phones.

But the call, which should have been answered by dispatchers in Dallas within seconds, just rang and rang and rang. "They are not answering their phones, '" Alex said. She rushed home and drove Brandon to the hospital, but it was too late. She then called a third time at 6:11 p.m. and stayed on the line for 31 minutes.

Last October, a dozen states dealt with a swarm of "ghost calls" that overwhelmed 911 switchboards and made it impossible for legitimate calls to get through.

"I called 911", Taffet writes in The Dallas Voice.

Alex was at her nephew's funeral when Brandon's babysitter called to say that her son had fallen and would not wake up. At some point, Brandon fell and would not respond, the babysitter desperately tried to call 911 but due to the wireless network's unfortunate glitch, she could not get through to an operator. "But because you didn't, my son is gone and I have to bury him on Monday". The boy's cause of death remains undetermined, the Collin County medical examiner's office said. Within an hour of being brought to the hospital, he was pronounced dead.

Alex, whose oldest child is aged 22, says she wants T-Mobile and Dallas city officials held responsible for the death of her baby boy, who she says was still breathing when she came home. "I want the problem solved immediately and if it takes longer I want to know why".

  • Elsie Buchanan