Albert released by Dolphins; Tunsil to move to tackle
- Author: Patricia Jimenez Feb 17, 2017,
Feb 17, 2017, 0:21
Former Chief Branden Albert was released by the Miami Dolphins on Thursday.
Albert wasn't offered a pay cut or restructured contract before his release, a source told ESPN. The top offensive tackle in the draft had an incriminating video of him allegedly smoking marijuana released minutes before the draft clock began to tick. The release of Albert leaves $3.4 million in dead money on their cap. By cutting him, Miami saves $8.5 million, with $2 million in dead money remaining. Scheduled to count $4.5 million against the Dolphins' salary cap, his release saves the Dolphins $4 million on their cap, with $500,000 in dead money left over. Albert has struggled to stay healthy in recent seasons and, as The MMQB's Albert Breer pointed out on Twitter, he may not be "equipped" to play tackle anymore.
Thanks to time and some trusted relationships Tunsil was drafted by the Dolphins as a luxury with the 13th overall pick. He spent last season on injured reserve after injuring his knee. He started all 35 games he played for the Dolphins, including 12 last season.
The moves are not surprising as the team has younger players to succeed these guys, and with Williams and Mitchell, they had already lost their jobs.
He missed seven games in 2014, two in 2015 and four last season. He had a career-low 1.5 sacks and also suffered concussion and ankle injuries.
"I helped this team out and everybody's always trying to write me off for whatever reason", Albert said last season.
Still, the Dolphins, which are coming off the franchise's first winning season and playoff appearance since 2008, have enough cap space to aggressively address the team's needs - defensive line, linebacker, offensive guard, tight end - in free agency, and that seems to be owner Steve Ross' plan.